Wednesday 14 May 2014

South Indian Fish Curry with Mango

In search of easy ,authentic South Indian fish curry I made several attempts with a variety of fish with different recipes and I could never get it to taste like back home.It would also taste better even if I used the same method, if it was made by My Pinni /mum/mother in law.My Pinni who is from Madras makes this wicked meenu kulumbu.
So I came across this recipe in a foodblog 'akilaskitchen' and I was excited while reading it and even more excited to eat it because it was perfect.It has very few spices and no ginger or garlic but for me it was the best curry I made.I added raw mangoes to the recipe and it really gelled very well. You can perhaps add any sour fruit like cooking apples I suppose.I will try it next time.
I found seabass was the best fish to make fish curry but any firm fleshed fish will do.Today I couldn't get seabass at my local supermarket so I used rainbow trout.


Ingredients;


To Grind
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Black Pepper corns - 1 tsp
Shallots / Small onion - 10
Tomato - 1

To Marinate
Fish Pieces - 15 (I used rainbow trout Fish)
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp

For Gravy
Oil - 3 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 12 to 15
Onion - 1 big (chopped finely)
Tomato - 1 big (chopped finely)
Raw Mango pieces- 2 small
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4tsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
Hot water - 3 cups
Tamarind Pulp - 1 cup (Extracted from 2 gooseberry/amla sized tamarind)
Coriander leaves for garnishing.

Method:


 take the washed fish in a big bowl and add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.

Mix them well, so that they are well coated and let it marinate for 30 to 40 min.

Now in a mixer, add the cumin seeds, black pepper.Add the onions and the Tomato.


Grind to coarse paste without any water and keep it ready

In the Kadai / wok, add the oil, and when the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.

. When they turn light brown colour, add the onions and fry for a min or till they becomes translucent.


Now add in the tomatoes and saute them well.
When they are soft add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.

Add in the ground paste and sauté till the raw smell goes off from the onion.



Add the tamarind pulp,mango pieces and 1 cup of water and let it boil.

Add the fish pieces now and let it cook nicely.I add fish pieces when my gravy is done as fish needs only 5 minutes to get cooked.I also make sure there is no stirring at this stage.I just move the pan by its handle once or twice in between.

When the oil starts oozing out from the gravy, add the coriander leaves and switch off the stove

Serve with white rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment