Thursday 1 May 2014

Stroke Nurse's Carrot cake



This Recipe was given to me by our stroke liaison nurse 10 years ago when I was a junior doctor in the medical ward. This, I was  told was passed on to her by her grandmother so I have the backing of generations of testing to be foolproof.
I did tweak the quantities a bit to make it bigger in size but the ingredients are the same.So far it has never failed me.

Ingredients

325 g self raising flour
21/2  tea spoons baking powder
1 1/2 tea spoon ground cinnamon
225 g light brown soft sugar
200 g carrots
3 eating apples - small
100 g pecan nuts- chopped
3 eggs
225 g corn oil

Topping

150 g full fat soft cheese
150 g softened unsalted butter
200 g icing sugar- sifted

1. Grease and line 23 cm round cake tin with non stick baking parchment.
2.Sift the flour,baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl.Mix in the sugar until evenly blended.

3.Grate the carrots and apples.Add the nuts,carrots and apples to the flour mixture.

Mix them together then make a well in the centre adding the eggs and oil mixing well.


4. Bake at 180 C/gas mark 4 for 45 minutes to an hour.The mixture does look very wet when you are pouring it into the cake tin but don't worry it will still set and that's why it takes up to an hour.Cover with baking parchment after 30 minutes to stop the top burning.

Topping - Beat butter until soft ,then beat in the soft cheese and add icing sugar.When the cake is cool,spread over the top.

As you can see I made an effort with the decoration only because I was making it for a special occasion which is my best friend's birthday.
Otherwise it is just a slab of icing on top and that's it.
It still tastes Yummy though!!


No comments:

Post a Comment